Digital Eye Strain
Recognize the Symptoms of Digital Eye Strain
Many patients are suffering from digital eye strain symptoms and simply do not realize what is happening with their eyes or vision. Your eye care provider is the best resource to make a diagnosis with a comprehensive eye exam, tests and health history. However, here are some symptoms you should know that are related to digital eye strain:
- An itching or burning sensation in the eyes
- Dry or very watery eyes
- Blurred vision or Double vision
- Eye fatigue
- Frequent headaches
- Neck, back or shoulder pain
- Greater light sensitivity
- Difficulty concentrating
- Struggling to keep your eyes open
- Eye redness
The above symptoms can be short-term or temporary. However, they can seriously effect your productivity especially if you tend to work on a computer or are using digital devices for an extended period of time. Please try these strategies that will help you find some relief from the discomfort of long use of computer monitors, or any other digital device.
- Rest your eyes at least 15 minutes after each 2 hours of computer or digital device use.
- Every 20 minutes, look into the distance at least 20 feet away from the computer or digital device. Do this for at least 20 seconds.
- Arrange your workspace with eye comfort in mind by positioning your screen at least 20-28 inches from your eyes.
- Enlarge the text on your computer screen or digital device.
- Reduce glare from the light sources in your environment.
- Use a screen glare filter for your computer.
- Place your screen so that the center of it is about 4 to 5 inches below eye level (about 15 to 20 degrees from the horizontal).
- Remember to blink often.
- Adjust your chair height so your feet can rest comfortably on the floor. Try not to slump over the computer screen.
- Use computer glasses designed to filter out blue light and make it easier to look at a screen for long periods.
Making these changes may help eliminate digital eye strain in many people. And remember, an eyecare professional is your best solution for diagnosis. Make sure you schedule your comprehensive eye exam. Our friendly and knowledgeable doctors will rule out any issues and also find the perfect customized solution that will keep your eyes healthy and happy again.
To learn more about digital eye strain visit Vision Source.